Friday, June 29, 2007

"I'll take fashions for 100 Alex."

The answer is, " 1950's singer of "Love Letters In The Sand" wore these.
Question: What are white bucks?

The above premise may sound corny, but if you grew up in the 50's you should be able to relate to it. I know, I had of pair of white bucks (white buckskin shoes for the youngsters in the crowd). Pat Boone started a trend with his trademark white bucks. I can remember as if it was yesterday. Actually I wore them way back in May 1959 for my First Communion. I looked and felt snazzy in my navy blue suit, white shirt and tie, and my cool white bucks. I'm not sure if white bucks will ever come back into style, but who knows, they may. I'm sure I stood out like a sore thumb when I wore them. I don't recall anyone else wearing them on that holy day, but back then I didn't really care.

Today's fashions are quite different. Teenagers pretty much dress the same. Droopy pants, baggy shirts and reversed baseball caps. Most of the kids blatantly advertise for Aeropostale, Tommy Hilfiger, American Eagle or Nike to name a few. They look like walking billboards. It's a far cry from what it was in the 50's. Our parents dressed us like movie or tv stars. Today's kids dress like pro athletes or rappers. Anything goes. The fashions, today, are overpriced even at 50% clearance sale. People are willing to pay top dollar for name brand clothing. For example, I was walking through Macy's the other night and noticed "Polo" shirts on display. I got "sticker" shock when I noticed they were $75.00. I guess that little insignia of the jockey on the polo pony ups the price considerably. I don't think the shirts will be flying off the shelves at that price. At least not in Sandusky.

Our son, Justin had to have a pair of Nike Air Jordan shoes when he was a young teenager. He said they cost $110.00. Now that's a lot of money even if you're playing in the NBA. We agreed to pay $50.00. He would have to come up with the balance of $60.00 if he wanted them that badly. Somehow, he saved his money and bought the shoes. I suppose he did get his money's worth out of them. Justin, now 31 years old, would probably think twice before spending that much money on athletic shoes today.
On the other side of the coin I was happy with my P.F. Flyers or Red Ball Jets. They use to be called tennis shoes. Not anymore. Models today include cross-trainers, walking, running, basketball, all-terrain etc. etc.

Some other fashions of the 50's included the "Perry Como" sweater, the Harry Belefonte clam diggers (similar to Capri pants), and the predecessor of "scrubs" the Dr. Ben Casey blouse.

I did have a Perry Como sweater. It was a turquoise cardigan sweater with two buttons. Maybe my parents thought by wearing the sweater that I would be able to sing "That's Amore' ". When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's amore'.

Now back to Jeopardy with Alex Trebeck.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember your wardrobe I. I got them when you out grew them. At least I didn't have to break them in. I think by the time I was finished wearing them they were pretty much were ready for the rag bag. I remember one year I bought a pair of gold suede con verse shoes for I think 25.oo at Hozaephel's with my own money and Mom called me N----r rich. Somethings you never forget.
PS: she probably dosen't remember.

Brother Kyle

Anonymous said...

I think I kept those shoes for 10 years and they only fit for about 5. I got my use out of them, though. I kept wearing them when they didn't fit. For some reason they didn't make me a better basketball player. I guess that is just in the ads.