Thursday, August 23, 2007

Bumper Stickers and Window Clings

I've often wondered why people enjoy displaying bumper stickers and window clings on their vehicles. Have you ever given it a thought? Perhaps the people that display these mobile bulletin boards think this is a good way to voice their opinions. I really don't care who you support in the next election or who you voted for in the last election. I also have no interest if you are pro-life or how you feel about the U.S. government or President Bush. Certainly, much can be learned about the type of bumper stickers or window clings an individual chooses too display. Some of the combinations are laughable. Of course if you notice a large number 3 window cling, there will also be number 8 on the opposite side of the window. Unless you live in a cave, you know that the numbers 3 and 8 are synonymous with the late Dale Earnhardt and Dale Jr. respectively. They were/are fan favorites in NASCAR auto racing. Dale Jr. will be assigned a different car number next year (since he changed teams). It will be interesting to see how people react to this change. It's a good bet that these people also have a rebel flag somewhere on their vehicle.

Jan and I have 4 adult children. They were usually honor students in elementary school. We always encouraged them to do well in school. One thing Jan and I agreed with was to not display bumper stickers that told the world that "our" kids are honor students. What is the purpose to proclaim that you have intelligent kids? There are plenty of children that have difficulty in school. There never is a need to brag about how well you do in school.

In recent years parodies of the honor student bumper stickers have surfaced. I'm sure you've seen them. My kid beat up your honor roll student etc. Perhaps these were humorous the first time, but after that they became annoying.

The latest fad is the the high school sports window clings. Soccer moms taxi their athletes around town in their mini-vans and SUV's. The back window of the vehicle is wall papered with clings such as soccer balls, softballs, basketballs, megaphones etc. Underneath the graphic is the kids name. Now, let's say you have 3 kids and they play 3 seasons of sports. That equates to 9 window clings. A little of this goes a long way. For crying out loud, who really cares that Tommy plays soccer or Amber plays the flute in the marching band? Just go to the games, cheer for the kids and support them without advertising, please.

3 comments:

BananaBuzzbomb said...

Ha! David and I talk about this all the time. It's hard not to when you pull into a parking lot and ALL the cars have them plastered covering all of the back windows. I'm not totally against the thing, but I think 1 will do, in my opinion. Good write up dad.

Anonymous said...

I don't really mind the advertising for a political candidate or a favorite sports team. But, my kid is this, my kid is that is an annoyance.

Albeit I don't have kids yet, I was raised in a climate where you do not brag or advertise your achievements (other than in a resume). I've also observed parents who brag and those who don't. I see those people who go into a monologue bragging about their child(ren) and you just watch the listeners tune out, unless they too are braggers and it becomes a competition. I have observed the other type...where you know their kids are doing great things, very worthy things of discussion and yet they have a conversation with others, offering up that their family is doing well etc. or general day-to-day stuff and they ask about the other person/their family and hold a conversation. I listen, really listen to these people because it feels real and genuine.

Anonymous said...

Hi Mark
I just read your new PET PEEVE to Ralph and his remark was "How about these people who brag about their favorite team with vanity license plates like OHIO STATE-------LOL" Just kidding. We agree with you on these high school sports clings. We don't know how some of them can see out of the rear window. Maybe that's all they have to brag about.

MOM AND RALPH